Hayden Warren Leads Four Players in Qualifying for U.S. Junior Amateur
LOUISVILLE, KY (June 7, 2021) – Hayden Warren, Hayden Adams, Lyman Brackett, and Oakley Gee will be on their way to the Country Club of North Carolina in Pinehurst later this summer by virtue of qualifying for the U.S. Junior Amateur today at Oxmoor Country Club.
The Louisville facility hosted the state of Kentucky’s sole qualifier for the USGA’s premier championship for boys aged 18 or less. Fifty players entered the qualifier seeking one of four automatic exemptions into what will be the 73rd playing of the championship on July 19-24.
Hayden Warren received medalist honors after shooting 67 (-5), the lowest round of the day by one stroke. The Owensboro native got as low as -6 and is now assured of his first USGA championship experience after his strong performance today.
Another Hayden, that being Hayden Adams, plus Lyman Brackett finished T2 today as both players recorded rounds of 68 (-4). Adams’ round was highlighted by a hole-out for eagle on the par-four 12th while Brackett used seven birdies throughout the day to also solidify his placement in next month’s competition.
The final guaranteed spot went to Oakley Gee of Carmi, Illinois after a three-for-one playoff was needed to determine this coveted spot in the championship. Gee, Peyton Bonny and Kannon Tucker each shot 69 (-3), but it was Gee who got through after two extra holes were needed. Bonny, a Louisville resident, is the first alternate while Tucker, a Somerset product, is the second alternate.
NOTES & STATS
- Adams’ eagle on the 12th was the only one of its kind made in today’s competition.
- The easiest hole of the tournament was the opener, as the par-four 1st played to a stroke-to-par average of -0.22. Twelve players began their rounds with birdies here.
- The par-four 7th was the most difficult at Oxmoor as only three birdies were recorded to go alongside sixteen bogeys and two double bogeys or worse. Its average was +0.47.
- Both nines played about the same in terms of difficulty, with the back nine playing slightly harder at an average score of 37.68 compared to the front nine’s 37.39.
- Added together, today’s scoring average was 75.07.
Kentucky Junior Golf and the Kentucky Golf Association extend their thanks to Chris Schuler, PGA Head Golf Professional at Oxmoor Country Club and his staff for their assistance in creating a fantastic qualifier today.
Many of the boys playing in today’s competition at Oxmoor Country Club will also be looking to qualify for another marquee championship later this week, that being the Barbasol Junior Championship. That 36-hole qualifying event begins on Wednesday and will conclude Thursday at Boone’s Trace National Golf Club. The top six finishers there will advance to the inaugural championship at Keene Trace – Keene Run on June 29 – July 1.
This Thursday, girls will be qualifying for the U.S. Girls Junior at Heritage Hill Golf Club, which marks Kentucky’s next USGA qualifier. Players in that qualifier are seeking spots in the championship to be held at Columbia Country Club in Chevy Chase, Maryland next month.